Blog Archive

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Summary of 2011

The best part before starting a new year, 2012, is probably to look back at the entire year of 2011.

Well, the start of 2011 was a pretty tough and yet carefree life. I guess upon graduation, we all hope that we can go out and conquer the world. I was still not sure which industry to go into. I had high hopes of what I can do, but I guess not all organizations have that leap of confidence in me. That's quite sad, but real. I spent a decent 1 month, just spamming out my resumes, hoping for a response. I guess, my technique was quite a fantasy methodology; because I started of by looking at my favorite companies, followed by favorite industries, followed by competitor industries, and lastly towards geographical convenience. I know right, silly!

Strangely, what I realize was that for the first few favorites, I spent like hours; just to wrap a good summary, and then there were others which I just did a quickie and sent out. What you really want the most, you will try to do it well, but most of the time it doesnt turn out well, compared to those you really didn't expect.

By mid Feb, only 2 calls came in, after sending out like 40+ resumes. I was kind of glad that by March, i managed to secure myself a nice executive position. Well, the starting learning curve was quite tough on me, especially with the whole new culture shock (public sector mentality). I told myself that I would quit my "2nd life" because now I would be known as a public figure.

I took about 4 months to really induce myself into the workplace. I guess, in this current job, I really opened my eyes to what I'm really interested in; with reflections of a long lasting career progression. I guess I managed to understand myself a lot better, and I guess im a person who doesnt like to stick to a certain pathway for long. It is not that I'm not committed, but rather I seek more challenges, more changes and more creativity. I'm just built that way, where everything has to be at its fast pace. But sadly, public sector does not really offer that much velocity, because well, decisions of what to do are often made based on public administration directions.

Being inclined by such a slow environment after my settlement, my "2nd life" kicked back in. Perhaps, in a nut shell summary, this year I really failed dreadfully. I rushed things. I didn't plan it well, and it is not me. I did too much, or perhaps I just ran out of the skill. I didn't diversify, and got deceived by thrills of the imposition. Fooled by at least 3, misled by at least 5, no-show for about 4, and mistakenly ditched one for another; hence opportunistic greed killed me.

On another hindsight, this year has also opened me up to a new feeling. With age catching up, I'm growing towards the idea of having someone. It is a very small thought distribution, and no directions have been erected. I'm just working on a feeling, but you know; there must be a goal/objective in order for the feeling to materialize. That's probably gonna roll-over/out in this new year, 2012. It is rather opportunistic, and i would probably need to develop a roadmap of action plans.

Lastly, 2011 was a year to test friendship. Probably the best test, is always tiredness and interdependence. As what they say that, true colors reveal after a certain span of time, especially when the time is a prolonged period with no possible interval to rest. I won';t say 2011 was a great test result of friendship, but it has opened my eyes that diversification should take place.

With all that covered, 2012 is I would say another year. I've reborn with the loss of my 9 years streak. I have shamed much in 2011, because of my rash actions; but then again I see 2012 as another year to branch out beyond my existing routines and boundaries. It may all be just talks, with no materialization, but at least I would try to open up to these new possibilities in the months to come.

"With failure, comes a road to success" - frostdude

No comments:

Post a Comment